Sunday, June 23, 2013

Cargo Pants Confession



I've never been a fan of cargo pants because they add bulk to one's body in all the wrong places and are generally unflattering. Cropped cargo pants are even worse in my eyes,  and if I had a penny for every man I saw in cargo shorts (thanks, Costco!), I would be a wealthy woman today. I am in good company. Tim Gunn considers cargo cropped pants:  "the single most unflattering item of apparel in fashion history. These are a fashion no-no. I’d like to say get them away or take them somewhere where they can be recycled, they’re too horrible. Use them to wash your floors.” Go here to watch Gunn give reasons why this pants is "too horrible."

Nevertheless, I purchased a pair for myself a few years ago in a dark olive linen since they were so comfortable. This comfort must be a major reason why people buy and wear cargos. Like other women during that time, I saw myself wearing them with cute tank tops and sandals.

Though I wore mine out and about at first, I have only worn them around the house in recent months. They are now baggy and even less chic than they were before (see photo!).  I put them on the other day, and my older daughter remarked, "Ha! You are wearing those pants you hate to see on others. What about Wardrobe Wisdom, Mom?" I stammered, "I am not going out in these. I am just wearing them to do chores." However, I got an earful later when I headed to Trader Joe's still wearing the pants. I did look ghastly, but I did not put them in a donation bag this week. Why? Because they are soft and pajama-like, and they cover me up. I am not proud of how I look in them, but I have a better understanding now of their appeal. Just don't expect to see me wearing them in public. I'd never hear the end of it from my daughters.

2 comments:

Calla Gold said...

I have a few comfy unflattering pieces I give myself permission to wear around the house so I feel ya about those cargo pants.

Lori Cooper said...

Yep--we have to have a few of those pieces, Calla.