Sunday, June 16, 2013

Dry Cleaning

Thank goodness these days are over!
Photo Credit: Nationaal Archief


Having to regularly dry clean your clothing can become expensive. If you know you are a wash and wear person and your professional life allows for a casual look, stick with those kinds of garments. But if your clothing requires more care, there are some ways to reduce your dry cleaning bill each month.

First, determine which clothes need to be dry cleaned and which can be safely hand washed (with your two hands or on your machine's hand wash or gentle cycle). Of course my husband's suits, my wool skirts and coats, and my dresses with complicated pleats get dry cleaned. But I hand wash all of my sweaters and silk tops. My favorite gentle soap is Forever New, available in Santa Barbara at Purrmission Lingerie and online. This site offers useful advice on laundering clothing. 

Even though that place by your office or home may be convenient, it may not be the least expensive dry cleaners in town. So do some price comparing. In Santa Barbara, my favorite dry cleaner is Ablitt's. I appreciate their efforts to make this historically toxic service less so. I also like that they will pick up and deliver my items, even if I only dry clean once a month or less. Go here to read here about their practices. 

InStyle magazine recommends that when you "find a cleaner you like, befriend him or her. Then, after a few months, ask for a bulk rate or another deal, such as a discount for returning hangers." 

No comments: