Monday, April 23, 2012

Of course you are Italian!"




For a couple of weeks now I have been watching a dashing older man walk, what I assumed to be his granddaughter, to school. Both my younger daughter and I noticed the vivid colors he dressed in: red pants, pink sweaters, purple shirts. . .

Today I started to walk past him and decided at the last second to say something. "Sir, I have been noticing how wonderfully you dress." His response: "I am Italian and don't speak English." Then I said, "Of course you are Italian" meaning that Italian men tend to be bolder about wearing colors than American men. I asked if he spoke French or Spanish, and he said no, but that did not stop me from patching together a sentence in those languages, mixed with English that went something like "I love your style! I like your clothing, the colors, the combinations," before my daughter nudged me to stop.

Imagine my disappointment at not having my camera at school today. I hope he will be there next week so I can snap a photo. I think you will be impressed by his sartorial flair as well!

No comments: