Thursday, January 20, 2011

Fragrance Counter Myth



I always wondered about the shot glasses of coffee beans at perfume counters. The saleswomen recommended I use them to clear my nose of smells between sniffing fragrances. I went along with this but felt sort of silly. Will Andrews, fragrance scientist at Proctor & Gamble, let me know why I felt duped. He explains, "Watching sales assistants offer up coffee beans to refresh their customer's sense of smell is a great piece of urban theater. The odor is likely to confuse you more." Aha!

Instead, Andrews recommends "sniffing the crook of your arm as one's own smell acts like a reset button. Anything familiar is recalibrating and gives your nose a break, whether it's washing powder, the sleeve of a cardigan or a swatch of linen." Good news! Now I will just look silly, but at least I know it will not be in vain.

No comments: