Thursday, December 24, 2009

Thank You

It is Christmas Eve, and my youngest daughter and I are discussing how to accept gifts gracefully and graciously. She just asked me, "Is it okay to say, 'Thanks, I really like this even though this isn't what I wanted'"?

Well, no, my dear, it is not okay. I tell her it is important that she say thank you, and that she shows some sincere appreciation for the gift. Making the giver feel good is the goal. This seems a bit confusing to her, an eight year old.

I recently came across a very good article on this sometimes confusing topic of receiving in Easy Living magazine. According to writer Lesley Garner, "There is also a skill to being the person on the receiving end." When someone is offering one thing to someone else, "they are giving away something of themselves as well as the actual object." Therefore, the recipient's responsibility is to express gratitude, simply and lovingly. Like I told my daughter, "Smile, look the person in the eye, and say 'Thank you.'"

This advice applies when someone compliments you on something you are wearing, or when someone gives you a gift. Talking to my daughter reminded me how I should respond to all gifts, the everyday and the special.

Happy Holidays to All and Very Warm Wishes for a Happy New Year!

No comments: