Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Try This!

This month I was fortunate to spend a few days with one of my oldest and closest friends, Stacy. We never run out of things to talk about and were sad to say good-bye.

She likes me to help her go through her closet when I visit, and I am always happy to oblige. This time Stacy asked me to help her put outfits together and to give her accessorizing ideas. I looked in her closet and was thrilled to see Stacy had added some color since the last time I visited. Warm tones look great on her and along with the creams, browns, and corals were now some beautiful bright blues.

I started with the basics she wears all the time, such as jeans, khakis, and white shorts and jeans. Then we pulled out some interesting tops and added a cardigan or we took a plainer top and added a fun belt or layered a couple of necklaces. I also made some suggestions for ensembles she had not tried before. We talked about a few pieces that seemed to be missing from her wardrobe and where she could get them. Finally, I went through her shoes, some of which gave us both a good laugh. Why, oh, why do we all hold on to some things?

Once we had finished up in her closet, we did a little shopping, and then worked her new pieces into her wardrobe. Stacy was delighted to find she had a number of new outfits and a couple of new styles to try.

Stacy's shopping habits have changed since I've been giving her some serious Wardrobe Wisdom. She has become a lot more thoughtful about her purchases, considering how often she would wear the item, if it fit perfectly or would fit perfectly when tailored, and if she really, truly needs what she is considering.

This is the kind of consultation I do quite often these days. My clients are very pleased when I inject new life into their wardrobe without insisting that an expensive trip to the mall is in order. Are you in need of an update? Let me know!

No comments: