Thursday, April 30, 2009

Shopping Local

Since I spend a lot of time shopping for my Wardrobe Wisdom clients, I get to see some special stores open their doors in Santa Barbara and then blossom.

One is Folio Paper Press Post, at 4437 Hollister Avenue. The owner is friendly and passionate about paper in its myriad forms: stationery, gift wrap, notepads, file folders, etc. But Folio offers a lot more: darling gift items for children, such as animal-shaped soaps and kitty lunch bags. You can also find lovely pens, wax stamping sets, fun novelty jewelry, gift bags, and so much more. I often find the perfect gift for a friend at Folio. It is a little treasure.

Another store I like is Lovebird Boutique and Jewelry, located at 535 State Street and 7 East De La Guerra. Both stores are small and carry clothing and accessories, some of which are designed locally. The prices are reasonable, especially at the De La Guerra store, and the clothing is fun and casual. On State Street, the clothing and accessories are a bit pricier but they are also orginal eye-catching. I liked the camisoles and caftans as well as the simple knit jersey skirts. The bathing suits from Brazil are a whole other matter. I am sure they fit like a dream, as the salesgirl insisted, if one were built like a young model. I simply smiled and said, "Not today," when she asked if I wanted to try one on.

Receiving friendly service is critical to shoppers. More than ever the salesperson's attitude makes me want to return to a store or never recommend or shop there again. I am happy to say that I will be shopping at Lovebird and Folio again and again. You should too!

No comments: