Friday, April 10, 2009

Not a Secret Anymore

There are a couple of items I have coveted for quite some time now which I do not share with many people. But now I am not embarrassed about them anymore. No, I am proud of these quirky things that help me imagine some pretty great situations in which they could be worn.

The first is a caramel-colored fringed suede jacket. I have wanted one for at least 15 years. Who knows why. The whole cowboy/Western look is not one of my favorites and I look pretty awful in that color. Still, I can picture myself in a great white t-shirt, jeans, and this fantastic jacket, heading off for. . . what? A date with my husband? Meeting girlfriends for drinks? Yeah, those are actually pretty realistic situations. Maybe I should get that jacket, wherever it is.

My second coveted item is a sequined tank dress. This is something I have wanted for only a few years, and I understand its appeal: it loudly states, "When you wear me, you will have an incredibly fun time." A sequined dress wants to go out and party. It wants to dance, drink wine, and laugh a lot. I've tried a few on but they have been too short or simply unflattering. But still, they beckon to me, and one day I will splurge on this joyful frock.

The reason I have not purchased either of these pieces is that they have not made sense for my lifestyle thus far. I try to practice what I preach and as I tell my Santa Barbara wardrobe clients, your closet should reflect your current lifestyle. My husband and I do not go out on dates very often, and there haven't been many times I was unable to attend an event for my lack of a sequined dress. Someday though, I can imagine seeing them as not mere frivolous purchases, but clothing that makes sense for my lifestyle and my budget.

How about you? What are some clothes that you have dreamed about for a long time but have not bought?

No comments: