Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Black Again? Really?

I like black as much as the next woman, but black is one of "my colors." Black is not, however, everyone's friend, and I find it irresponsible for fashion experts to insist, almost every season, that black is back and that everyone should have a little black dress, a black turtleneck sweater, etc.

Instead, think about how you look and feel in black. My mom is one of the prettiest ladies I know, but she does not look good in black (and would be the first to admit it). For a lot of people, black adds years, wrinkles, and a deathly pallor to their face. Who needs that?

Do not feel pressured to succumb to the allure of black. Your neutral can be a flattering shade of brown, beige, even navy or pink. Think of what suits you, not what the latest fashion article is telling you is a "must."

On a related note, I encourage women to get their colors done by an expert. Knowing what shades and colors suit you best can save you a lot of time shopping and a lot of money buying clothing that you never feel great in but cannot determine why.

No comments: