Tuesday, December 23, 2008

"I'll Never Wear That!"

Ha! I have stated that I will "never" wear the following: leggings, anything yellow, sequins, stirrup pants, fur--fake or real. . . the list goes on. One of the items on my list was skinny jeans. When this style emerged a couple of years ago, I looked at my sturdy, somewhat short legs and thought, "Now there is a style I will never wear!"

Yet there I was last week, looking for skinny jeans at Paseo Nuevo Mall in Santa Barbara. How did I get to this place? At first I thought the skinny look would be gone after a season, and I did not like it on anyone. Then I thought it looked okay on young, tall women--but the look was still not for me. Then it seemed to make sense with ballet flats. Finally, after trying to cram my bootcut jeans into my boots on more than one occasion, I saw the value and sense of skinny jeans.

Not ready to fully embrace them since I still thought they were a short-lived look, I decided to purchase an inexpensive pair of skinny jeans. When they fit poorly, I looked short and stumpy. But I persevered and finally found a great pair at Express for only $32!!! These jeans tuck right into my boots without creating any bagginess at the knee.

So, the moral of the story is: Give a trend a chance, if it is a look you like (or is a look you grow to like) and even then, don't spend a vast sum of money on a fashion fad.

No comments: