Monday, April 25, 2016

Don't Try This at Home



My older daughter's prom was last weekend. Deciding not to heed her Wardrobe Wisdom mom's advice, she began her search for a dress a mere week prior to the event. Then, one day before prom, she told me she did not really like her dress and wanted to shop the next day. I tried to remain calm, knowing it was not the time for I-told-you-so even though I was thinking it!

This story does have a happy ending. We arrived at the Assistance League's Operation Prom shop when it opened at 10, and after trying on several dresses, one stood out. Not only did my daughter get to wear--at no charge!!!-- a gorgeous gown, she was given shoes to wear with it and offered jewelry and a bag as well. The lovely women at the Assistance League could not have been more helpful and gracious. Other girls were there, shopping for their proms which were coming up in a couple of weeks. The atmosphere was friendly and casual (my high blood pressure notwithstanding).

I am not suggesting that anyone wait until the last minute to purchase something for a special event. Ever! I do, however, strongly suggest you tell everyone you know about Operation Prom. Here is the scoop from the Assistance League's Facebook page:

Operation Prom Dress has begun! Calling all girls attending their High School Prom! Come BORROW a dress from our beautiful Prom Boutique, Choose from over 500 dresses in all sizes! School ID required. Saturdays 10-2 April 16, 23, 30; May 7, 14, and 21. Wednesdays 3-5, April 20, 27, Ma 4, 11, 18, 25. Assistance League of Santa Barbara, 1259 Veronica Springs Road, Santa Barbara (off Las Positas).The girls you see modeling the Prom Boutique Dresses at our March meeting are members of our wonderful Assistance Volunteers.

2 comments:

HeatherM said...

So awesome to read about that program!! We have an assistance league here in SLO but I don't think they have a prom dress program. Glad it worked out for J.

Lori Cooper said...

Thank you for this comment, Heather. It is a spectacular program! I hope other organizations figure out how to do the same thing.