Saturday, December 6, 2014

Just One Will Do

 The offending shoe


The other day my barefooted daughter had wear the emergency/painting/gardening shoes that I keep in my car trunk when we stopped at the grocery store. Of course she was mortified by the outdated style of my sneakers and tried to get me to trade shoes with her. We ended up in fits of laughter when she abandoned her embarrassment and paraded around the store.

When I relayed this story to a friend, she asked why I had ugly, old shoes in my car. I realized I keep a few pairs of such "emergency" shoes around in case of an emergency (fire, earthquake) in which I have to grab shoes and run. . . somewhere. This excess footwear made me think of the Wardrobe Wisdom clients I have who cling to ancient, ratty clothing for "walking the dog," "gardening," or "painting." I've said it before but it bears repeating: You only need one of these ensembles. So use the remaining ones for rags, toss the icky shoes,  and open up some space in your closet (or car trunk).

No comments: