Wednesday, December 3, 2014

David Lebovitz--Again



Photo credit: clubsports.com

I realize I am rather fixated on this pastry chef's book, The Sweet Life in Paris, lately, but he has so many bon mots about clothing and the French that I want to share them. Today's quote reminded me of a very funny event during my family's visit with our cousins in northern France a few years ago. Nathalie and I left our children with our husbands at a huge public pool complex while we did some shopping. When we returned, my husband Don was standing to the side of the lifeguard who appeared to be having a very lively argument with Nathalie's husband, Rudy. We later learned Don was forbidden to enter the pool in his "American style bathing suit." Fortunately, a vending machine in the changing room, sold Speedos (I kid you not) for a fair price.

From the Sweet Life in Paris by David Lebovitz:

"This is also a country where it's interdit [forbidden] to wear anything but a skimpy, religion-baring Speedo in pubic pools 'pour l'hygiene, monsieur!' If someone could explain why strapping on a slingshot-style swimsuit is so much more hygienic than a square-cut swimsuit with two extra centimeters of fabric--and why I, who have less hair on my head than many of the men have on their backs, have to wear a bathing cap--I'm all ears."

No comments: