Monday, December 23, 2013

Gift Cards



I've always felt uneasy when I return an item and get handed a plastic gift card, even when I plan to spend my credit that day (probably within a half hour). It has always seemed so wasteful, knowing I  will have that card for a very short time before it ends up in the trash. Why can't they just hold on to my returned item until I come back with something else? Or give me a receipt which shows my credit?

When I got the real scoop on the wastefulness of those gift cards from this story in the Los Angeles Times today, I decided not to give gift cards anymore. And I was pleased to learn that Sustainable Cards, which are made with 30% less energy than plastic cards and are compostable, are becoming more available. I also learned about companies turning to cards made from wood from sustainably managed forests.

Sure, this news is hitting many of us after we have done our holiday shopping. But armed with the information about plastic gift cards may cause us to rethink giving plastic gift cards in the new year.

I wish all of my Wardrobe Wisdom readers a very happy holiday!

No comments: