Friday, September 28, 2012

Speaking of Food

Image Credit: Full of Life Foods website

Why not speak of food, one of my very favorite topics? The trip to SLO included several memorable culinary experiences.

On the way to my friend's house, I stopped in Los Alamos to check out bell street farm, a cafe I had read about in Edible Santa Barbara magazine. What a darling place! The cowboy hat wearing owner charmed my daughter and me with his enthusiasm for good food and a pretty setting. He led us to the lovely outdoor patio area and we saw some very tasty-looking sandwiches and salads being eaten by happy customers.  I wish we had not eaten such a big lunch prior to our drive; we contented ourselves with coffee (for me) and freshly made lemonade (for my girl).

In SLO, Heather and I lunched at one of our very favorite places: the Big Sky Cafe. We split the delicious Middle Eastern platter and a delectable banh mi sandwich. Heaven! The night before I had dinner with Heather and Mark at a place in town that was new to me: Sidecar. The attitude was a bit on the Portlandia side, but the food was creative and divine. We savored every bite of the beet salad, and gobbled up the insanely good roasted brussel sprouts.

For years I have been reading and hearing about Full of Life Flatbread restaurant in Los Alamos. But I could never successfully time a meal there as they have very limited hours. However, we hit Los Alamos just around dinnertime on Sunday evening, and I convinced my daughter that this would be a meal she would remember.

We were immediately seated in the back dining room, where we could watch the cooks baking the pizza in the huge oven. We chose to share the Kalamata pizza and a crisp house salad. On top of a very thin, slightly charred crust sat a film of tomato sauce, covered in kalamata olives, mozzarella and feta cheeses, sweet peppers, herbs, and garlic. YUM! What really won Jane over was the dessert: a dense hunk of rich brownie (no nuts--yeah!) served with vanilla ice cream. It was perfect!

What an ideal weekend: good times with friends, sharing Wardrobe Wisdom, and terrific meals.

No comments: