Wednesday, September 26, 2012

2 Men in San Luis Obispo




When my friend asked if I could help her son and husband update their looks, I was up to the challenge. At the end of our sessions, they seemed relieved and happy, especially Mark, who was eager to return to watching the U.S. Open.  I appreciated how they prepared for our appointments, making piles of questionable items and filling out my questionnaires.

I started with 15-year old Drew, whose looks had evolved from his junior high skater style. He wanted to wear clothing that had a vintage vibe but wasn't costume-y. He is also a musician, as obsessed with music as I remember my brother being at that age. I looked at his collection of thrift store sweaters and we discussed which ones fit well and which ones did not, and why. Both Drew and his dad, Mark, are tall and lean. Clothing is made for them! I suggested Drew purchase another pair of the Levi's he found that fit perfectly (508s). He has some cool blue suede desert boots and nice-fitting t-shirts in faded colors. All he needs are a couple of good quality cardigans or pull-overs (cut longer for his body) to complete his wardrobe. 

Mark and I began our time together by looking at some magazine photos of clothing I thought would appeal to him. We were quickly able to identify what styles he liked and would feel comfortable in.  Since he is in management, Mark wants to look professional and approachable. This meant getting rid of any shirts that were tired or outdated. He had several that were cut way too generously for his body. I suggested he get a few classic, slim cut dress shirts, a new brown belt and black shoes (perhaps a low boot) and that he have a pair of nice dress slacks and a jacket tailored. We then looked at websites for the perfect jacket, finding one at JCrew.

Working with men is not so different from working with women. Both need some feedback on what styles, shapes, and colors look best on them, and what items no longer work. I was pleased and a bit surprised at how easily Mark and Drew parted with their clothing. In the past, I have found my male clients have an extremely difficult time letting go of clothing. I guess they were ready for a fresh start!


No comments: