Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A Regret

Photo Credit of Gianni Versace jeans: Bluefly.com

When I work with my more sensitive Wardrobe Wisdom clients who are loath to get rid of anything, I very gently and diplomatically suggest that they part with certain items. Not once have I heard them express a regret during a subsequent appointment. Instead, they feel liberated after purging their closets of unworn, ill-fitting, or ill conceived clothing and accessories.

In terms of my own closet, only one purged item stands out and saddens me. In the early 1980s, while I was a student at UCSB, I liked to shop the sales at the Polo Store in Santa Barbara. (It used to be located at The Galleria on Upper State Street, along with other shops.) One day I purchased a pair of white jeans, with hand painted flowers running down the length of the legs. Over the years, those beloved jeans moved from Isla Vista to Santa Barbara, to Newport Beach, Dana Point, and back to Santa Barbara.

Then one day, when I was in a particularly energetic cleaning mood, I got rid of them. Oh, how I regret that decision, especially now that printed, colored, and textured jeans are all the rage. C'est la vie.

No comments: