Saturday, June 23, 2012

Paris: Shoes



I love France in large part because of the country's obsession with food and fashion. During the two weeks I recently spent there, my senses were heightened, taking in both delicious food and exquisite clothing.

One of the first things I noticed, in my wanderings around my apartment in the Fourth Arrondissement, was the shoe displays in store windows. I like how European retailers list the prices of their featured items right in the window. This kept me out of some stores, knowing their wares were way out of my budget, and lured me into others, once I saw that I could afford their shoes and clothing.

After trying on several shoes in Santa Barbara stores before my trip, I failed to find an attractive yet comfortable summer sandal with a reasonable heel (under 2"). What I found were either flats or wedges and platform soles which started with 3" heels! Knowing I would be walking for hours each day, I could not imagine wearing such high heels on my trip.

Imagine my delight, then, to find so many mid-height heels in Paris. Pictured here are just a few of the beauties I saw. Ultimately, I purchased a pair of darling blue flat sandals (below) at Galeries Lafayette. My cousin, Gina, exhibited a tremendous amount of patience while I and her friend, Laurence, tried on shoes (apparently for a very long time). But look how happy we are in the end!






No comments: