Monday, January 30, 2012

SB Casual



The Santa Barbara International Film Festival is currently in full swing. My mom and I were looking forward to seeing Christopher Plummer being honored on Saturday night. Of course I was pondering what to wear and sought advice from a frequent film festival attendee and wonderful dresser, my friend Kristy. She said the dress code was "SB nice casual." Darn it! While I appreciated her advice, I was disappointed. What does it take for people in this town to dress up? SB citizens with far more money than I have regularly show up at the symphony, the theater, and art openings in jeans and Crocs.

What is wrong with dressing up, with showing some respect toward the performers by putting on good clothing? I realize it is unrealistic to expect people to don tuxedos and ball gowns for Santa Barbara events, but how about something between khakis and a full length dress? On Saturday night I wore a simple black knit dress, black tights, and suede boots with a pretty pink scarf. It took little effort to put that outfit together, and I felt like I was honoring the elegant Christopher Plummer. By the way, he wore black jeans. Sigh.


No comments: