Friday, December 9, 2011

Too Big for Fashion?




The other day I was chatting with a cashier at Trader Joe's. She asked me what I did for a living and I told her all about Wardrobe Wisdom. She listened carefully and then responded, "But you never have advice for big gals like me, right? That's why I've just given up on buying nice clothes."

I have heard this sort of comment more than once and it elicits several thoughts and responses. The first is from a good friend who is a "big gal." She has told me that she loves clothes and loves to look great but hates shopping. I used to shop for her when she lived in town. Another feeling is sadness for the women who have simply "given up" on caring about their appearance. I also get frustrated with the fashion industry for often ignoring the plus size demographic.

Here is the advice I give to those women who struggle with finding clothes in their size:
Do some reading to learn what styles and fabrics will be most flattering for your figure. I recommend The Pocket Stylist by Kendall Farr and Dress Your Best by Clinton Kelly and Stacy London. Both books show what looks work best on plus size women and offer excellent shopping tips. Once you are armed with more knowledge on what to look for, it's time to shop.
Yes, you must enter some stores and try clothing on! I realize that this has been a frustrating and emotionally draining process in the past. But once you find the styles that work for you, your shopping experience will change for the better. I recommend starting at Nordstrom, where you will get good customer service and can on quality pieces. Even if this clothing is out of your budget, you will know what to look for when you shop elsewhere. Though Talbots does not carry its plus-size line in Santa Barbara, the saleswomen at the La Cumbre store will be more than happy to help you figure out what clothes will suit you best and can help you order them online, right there in the store.
If you are comfortable shopping online, here are some sites I recommend:

The fashion industry creates clothing that very few women can wear off the rack. Unfortunately, this is not likely to change in the near future. What can change is your attitude toward getting dressed. With some research and careful shopping, you can feel better about how you look in clothing, and begin taking better care of yourself. You are worth it!

No comments: