Monday, November 7, 2011

Style as Art




What goes through my mind when I see women on the street in outfits that do nothing for their figure? I impulsively begin to make them over from top to bottom: She can wear a knit v-neck top instead of the tube top; she can switch the micro-mini for a flowy maxi skirt; instead of those cheap-looking flats, she can wear a nice pair of beaded platform sandals. . . Sometimes I merely marvel at the sheer confidence required to wear certain garments when the finished result shows rolls of fat and less-than toned legs and arms. Bravo!

The women I am in most awe of are the ones who have clearly taken some time to choose their outfits, and though their finished product may not reflect my taste, I cannot help but applaud their self-possessed sense of style. As stated in Harper's Bazaar, "Our personal style is the most important work of art that most of us will ever create."

How true! I am not likely to produce a brilliant novel or a extraordinary painting, but I can be artful in how I dress every day. We all can, by choosing to add beauty and wit to our look with interesting accessories and fantastic clothing. Last night I was thinking about style and art as I got dressed for a play I was attending with my mom. My outfit needed something as it was rather monochromatic. So I added a sparkly blue rhinestone brooch to my scarf and voila! I had created a little work of art.

At its best, art elevates our everyday experiences, makes us stop and appreciate something beautiful and/or striking, and makes us feel alive. Think of this the next time you are getting dressed.

No comments: