Friday, November 25, 2011

How Many?

Hmm. I wonder if she has enough shoes?


When I am going through a closet during a Wardrobe Wisdom consultation, I get asked about numbers a lot. How many shoes do I really need? How many suits should I have? How many black pants do I need to have? Without exception, every woman has had more in her closet than she needs, and a lot more than she actually wears.

It is difficult for me to give numbers when so much depends on a person's lifestyle and budget. The experts who wrote Harper's Bazaar's book, Great Style, did come up with a list that I think is pretty good. Here it is:

4 sweaters (2 work-worthy and 2 for weekends)

7 tees (short and long sleeves, tanks, and turtlenecks)

4 coats and jackets (1 elegant coat, 1 sporty outerwear jacket, 1 classic trench, and 1 day-to-night jacket)

2 tops for every skirt and pant (1 dressed-up and 1 casual style)

4 pants, 4 skirts (2 office and evening appropriate and 2 informal)

1 suit (for every season, that you can wear together or separately)

5 dresses (2 for day, 1 short for cocktails, 1 long for formal, and 1 special knock-'em-dead frock)

4 jeans (1 slim cut for a cleaner look, 1 relaxed fit for laid-back days, 1 ankle length for flats, and 1 longer pair for higher heels)

What do you think of this list? So much depends on what your regular activities and work requirements are. I don't think everyone needs 5 dresses. What if you don't like dresses? Still, I think this list is okay as a starting point to think about what you really need.

1 comment:

Calla Gold said...

The picture alone is priceless. I think that picture is what I think of as wealth. If you can afford all the shoes you want and a room to keep them.
Thanks for the laughter and the suggestions Lori!
Calla Gold