Saturday, December 4, 2010

What to Read


Reading is one of my very favorite pastimes. When people ask me in amazement how I find time to read, I always wonder how they cannot find time to read.

On Sunday, November 28 in the Los Angeles Times' Image section, an entire page was devoted to this year's slew of fashion books. Some of the books highlighted are visual feasts, made to be placed on a coffee table. Others were written as advice books on how to dress more stylishly, and still others focus on a particular designer, such as Anna Sui.

One book on this list that interests me is "Bespoke: The Men's Style of Savile Row." Learning why "Savile Row, a small street in London, that's known globally as the epicenter of men's tailoring" is sure to be fascinating. I am easily taken in by tales of experts in any field, artisan cheese makers, master woodworkers, and of course, master tailors.

Another book which I'd like to read is "The World's Most Influential Fashion Designers." Even though I am much more of a clothing person than a fashion person, I appreciate that each leading designer has come to her or his aesthetic via unique avenues. I love to learn what inspires designers, who are truly artists, to create.

Reading about new books made me cast a glance at my own Wardrobe Wisdom bookshelf. Here are at least 30 books about fashion and style. Sometimes I use them as reference books, for when I want to know what the best way to store scarfs is or or what belt to wear with what dress for a large framed woman. At that time I turn to Kendall Fararr's "The Pocket Stylist" and "Style Evolution," Nina Garcia's "The Style Strategy" or "The Lucky Shopping Manual." Then there are those that I read for pure pleasure, such Clinton Kelly's "Freakin' Fabulous," and Linda Grant's "The Thoughtful Dresser."

I encourage you to check out the fashion section of your local bookstore (Chaucer's if you live in Santa Barbara!), and see what books strike your fancy.


No comments: