Monday, August 30, 2010

Purge




Oh, I love a good closet purge, my own and others'. So after a recent morning spent editing my wardrobe I had to ask myself the same questions I ask my clients, "Why was I continuing to store certain items in my closet for years that I neither liked nor wore? What was my attachment to these things?"

On the surface, I could see that these pieces were all good quality and were classics. So, I supposed I kept them since they maintained their shape and color, and they would never go out of style. Still. . . I never wore them! But how could I get rid of a perfectly fine black suit? I regularly list a black suit on my clients' must have lists; it's a wardrobe staple. But in whose wardrobe? I do not work in a conservative office that requires me to wear a suit. I do not feel comfortable or stylish in a suit. Instead, when I think of myself in a suit I feel constrained and uptight.

So how about those nice tailored blouses? My husband loves that look. And he does look smashing in a tailored shirt! I, on the other hand, feel like a matronly party-pooper when I wear such tops.

Once I had identified why I had kept the items and why I did not wear them, it was easy to pull them out of my closet and take them to Job Smart at the Unity Shoppe. I know someone else will get good use out of them.

Take the time to focus on items in your closet that merely take up space. If you neither like nor wear them, it's time to purge! You will feel great afterward.

No comments: