Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Thoughtful Dresser


Every once in awhile a truly great book about fashion comes on the scene. I recently read an excerpt of "The Thoughtful Dresser" by British writer Linda Grant and eagerly await its publication.

I like how Grant, like me, grapples with the perception that "fashion is lightweight, trivial, and obsession with appearance the sign of a second-rate mind." I find myself defending my Wardrobe Wisdom work sometimes, rushing to tell someone that I have a master's degree and have been a teacher, that I care deeply about important issues, that I read serious books and the newspaper every day. . . Reading her thoughtful words was reassuring, confirming that what I do is not superficial.

She takes the time to point out that "There are no known societies who do not adorn the human body, whether with clothing, jewelry, or tattoos" and "People have twin desires for pleasure and for change." Grant goes on to state "There is something shallow about asserting it doesn't matter how you appear to others, because in your heart of hearts you know it isn't true. People want to look the best they can."

Grant also insists that designers are "no less artists than the people who bring us films and novels and paintings." This assertion strikes me as being accurate, and is something I felt acutely while watching the film "Valentino: The Last Emporer."

The author tells the reader, "The purpose of this book is to explore what is already known but rarely thought about by the ordinary mass of humanity who is interested in fashion and might, quite wrongly, feel a little ashamed of this passion."

I just cannot wait to read this book and will buy it when it comes out on April 20.

1 comment:

Linda Grant said...

Thank you for your kind words. I do hope you enjoy my book. I have started a facebook group where I plan to have some discussions and Q&As on these issues. It's simply called The Thoughtful Dresser.