Sunday, April 25, 2010

Kicking Your Old Jeans Out




Many, many years ago I had a pair of 5-pocket jeans from Et Vous. I loved everything about these jeans: the fit, the wash, the feel of the denim, the basic Levi's 501-ish style, and the way they made me feel good about myself each time I wore them.

Sadly, after they had holes in the knees, and I had turned them into first Bermuda-length and then shorter shorts, I had to bid them farewell. Even sadder was having to part with a pair of incredibly cute and heretofore comfortable Calvin Klein jeans. Once I ballooned in college, I could no longer wear these favorites unless I left them unbuttoned.

So I could relate to and appreciate the article by Easy Living's Francesca Zedda, "How to Shed. . . Your Too-Tight Jeans." I work with clients who think leaving too small clothing in their closets will motivate them to exercise and change their diet. But as I've said before, these small clothes simply take up space, taunting the women who once wore them.

This is why Zedda states, "it gets to the stage when you have to accept that your body has changed." And here is the important message: "In fact, you'll look much better [in jeans] if you ditch that size too small. And if you look better, you'll feel more confident."

Of course it is easier said than done, but I encourage you to embrace the body you have now. Sizing is arbitrary, so try to ignore the labels and try on jeans until you find the pair you feel GREAT in. Ridding your closet of those too-tight jeans will take a load off your mind. I promise!

No comments: