Monday, February 23, 2009

Looking Your Best--or Not

The other day I found myself woefully under dressed. I wanted to hide, to not be seen by anyone I knew. In Santa Barbara, running into friends and acquaintances is a regular part of the day so I knew I was in for it. Moreover, as a fashion consultant who must be ever vigilant about presenting a great image, I should have known better.

My daughters' school was receiving a special honor at the Board of Supervisors meeting this week. My husband asked me at the last minute if I wanted to accompany him. Since I had made plans with a friend to walk over a month ago, I decided I could exercise right after the meeting though I would not have time to change. What was I thinking?

We arrived at the meeting and I instantly saw the error of my sartorial decision. Everyone present was dressed up! This thrilled me on a professional level since so many people dress like slobs nowadays, no matter where they are. I love seeing people dressed well, looking confident and professional. But on a personal level I was mortified. How disrespectful of me to arrive at a hallowed civic place wearing gym clothes (and no makeup!).

Those who were called up to receive commendation from the board were wearing suits, nice dresses, and pant suits. They all looked sharp! When it came time for my group to stand up, I knelt on the side of the room behind a desk, taking pictures. I will not be so careless about my appearance in the future, especially in a formal setting. Inexcusable!

No comments: