Thursday, January 28, 2016

Not Falling for a Brand

Image credit: modernoptical.com


I find perusing eBay and some cool second hand clothing sites such as thredUp to be a fun activity. In the search box, I enter my favorite brands and sometimes I strike gold. However, I have learned the hard (and pricey) way that not every label I love makes clothes that I end up loving and wearing.

For example, Joie is a label with feminine silk tops and pretty dresses which appeal to me. Whenever I am in a consignment store, I am thrilled to discover a Joie item. So naturally, Joie is a label I frequently look for on eBay. One time I was over the moon to find a beautiful red blouse there for only $30 since such blouses regularly retail for at least $180. Even though the $30 price was great, the fit is not and this is a top I rarely wear. Yes, I did not throw away $180, but I could have used the $30 on something that was perfect.

The moral of this post is to not let your brand crushes get in the way of making smart purchases. Learn what styles and cuts of certain labels suit and do not suit you to become a wiser, more discriminating shopper.

No comments: