Monday, July 20, 2015

Worn Stories



Somehow, in the midst of all the hype surrounding the book Women in Clothes last year,
I missed reading Worn Stories, by Emily Spivak. You can read what the New York Times had to say about it here.

Worn Stories describes itself as a collection of "sartorial memoirs." I found myself flipping through it, choosing what to read by the clothing pictured. I wondered what someone would have to say about a canary yellow Hermes coat; why a person would hold onto a bright blue hoodie sweatshirt; and who wore the little hat with the feather and striped band. I'm so glad I happened to read what Susan Orlean had to say about the dress and pants ensemble that accompanied her memoir. She describes her quest for the perfect uniform, and how over the years, she thinks she has found it, only to start her quest all over again. I think a lot of us can relate to her musings:

"It's a temporary delusion that comes over me with regularity--a belief that by wearing this perfect thing, I will look right and feel good no matter what. When I'm in it, I totally believe I have found my look, my personal style. I understand that fashion, by definition, is a changing thing, and so is one's body. " (My bold font added for emphasis.)

 

No comments: