Wednesday, May 20, 2015

I'll Pass

Photo credit: Burbank Town Center


The other day I went shopping with my 14-year old daughter. We went through one particular store a few times, and she circled back to pick up garments which caught her fancy. She was not at all interested in, however, the items that I found fetching. Once she got into the dressing room, she wanted me to stay close by, in order to weigh in her selections ( I felt honored).

Ultimately, she decided on a simple v-neck t-shirt and a pair of sandals. Once we got in the long line,  I cruised the store again. I considered trying on some chambray pants and a very soft denim shirt. I also liked one of the necklaces. Then I reminded myself of where I was, and that anything I bought was not likely to last beyond a few spins in the washing machine. I also reminded myself that the clothes were made for teen, not mature bodies. Yes, the clothes were inexpensive, but if they would not last, they were not worth my money. There is a caveat to this Wardrobe Wisdom: If you see something you really like in a teen store, try it on, it fits, and you love it, it's worth buying. You won't be spending a fortune and since it is probably a trendy item, you won't even want to wear it after it has been washed several times so longevity is not an issue.

No comments: