Friday, February 6, 2015

Vegan Clothing

Image credit: TheLimited.com


I glanced at the headline, "Guilt-Free Style" in the Los Angeles Times this week and was intrigued by the term "vegan fashion" under it. According to the article, with new technology and fabrication, "when you feel and see it [fake leather], it looks and feels like leather." I can vouch for this, anecdotally. The other night I wore my new ($68, pictured above) black faux leather jacket out with friends. We hugged each other as we were saying good-night, and one friend touched the jacket again, saying "Oooh! Yummy." When I told her it was fake, she was astonished.

While I was pleased to learn that better faux leather could mean less animal cruelty in the name of fashion, the article gave no information about the environmental impact of producing vegan leather. Time to do some research!

No comments: