Wednesday, November 26, 2014

More from Chef Lebovitz


 Image credit: wssdv.org

I have a feeling pastry chef David Lebovitz would be surprised and amused to learn that I quote him in my Wardrobe Wisdom blog since he makes no claims to be a fashion writer. However, he is living in Paris and has a keen, observant eye for how people dress there and why.

His partner used the phrase, "Les francais ne jettent rien" (The French throw away nothing), and David says he fits in well since he also cannot "bear to throw away things either." I love this description he gives to illustrate his point:

"Those perfectly good designer pants that were such a bargain at 60 percent off, even though they felt just a bit snug at the time. In the years since I bought them, sometimes when I'm getting ready to go out, I'll try them on. Yet neither I, nor the waistband, seem to want to change. I reason to myself that parachute pants with more pleats than a Broadway theater curtain will eventually come back in style, even though space is lacking in my French closet."

Now is a good time to look at clothing you have that you try on and immediately take right off. No matter what, you will never feel fabulous in such garments, and they are just taking up physical and mental space. So go do some editing!

No comments: