Monday, November 19, 2012

The Well-Edited Wardrobe

This image is from the Smithsonian, via Flickr. The woman is Carolina Amor du Fournier. She was associated with the Mexican journal La Prensa MĂ©dica Mexicana and was editor of Hummingbirds and Orchids of Mexico (1963).


I got a lot out of a recent post on the blog IvyStyle. In it the author edits his wardrobe, explaining why  why he is getting rid of them after identifying his preferences. This was clearly a valuable exercise for the author, and I think we can all benefit from such a mindful purge.

Here is what he says about his decision to purge:


I’ve always kept my wardrobe tightly edited as I’m pretty sensitive to things that just don’t feel “me.” Alas, what feels me is always in a state of flux (I prefer to think of it as refinement), and even with a close eye on superfluity I’m always catching myself with stuff I don’t wear.

So now that cold weather is here, I went through my closet and found all sorts of things I can’t believe I was holding on to.

Perhaps we’re all victims of variety, or at least the idea of it. This latest purge was motivated by the realization that I just have pretty strict tastes, almost a formula, and why fool myself that I don’t.

What follows is his thought process. He details what he likes and consequently what he purged:


• I like white and blue solid shirts, plus the occasional pink shirt or blue stripe. I tried yellow and it didn’t take. Never been tempted by tattersalls or burgundy stripes. And I like them to fit well. The purge: Tent-sized regular-fit shirts.

• I always reach for the same half dozen pairs of socks that work with my pants and shoes. The purge: Colorful argyles.





No comments: