Friday, February 25, 2011

The Value of a Dry Run

I was getting ready for an event the other night, and found I had not followed one of my own Wardrobe Wisdom guidelines: doing a dry run. Sure, I had a clear idea of what I would wear, but I had not yet tried on my outfit, and when I did put the various pieces together the ensemble did not work.

How hard can this be, I thought? I simply need a black top to go under this tuxedo jacket. At least 8 black tops seemed like they would be great candidates. But no. One had a too high neck--how would I model Rachel Kett's beautiful necklaces? Another had a subtle pattern that, nontheless, clashed with the leopord print of the jacket's lining. Another was too faded. . .

Jeez! My youngest daughter watched me in awe. I am sure it seemed absurd to her that I could not find one top that looked great with the outfit, and, moreover, that I was getting dressed in a panic. I, of all people, should know better.

So, remember the value of trying on an outfit, every component, in advance of an event. It will save you time, stress, and frustration!

No comments: