Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Goldilocks Goes Shopping




Today I hit the shops, mostly on State Street. As a wardrobe consultant in Santa Barbara, California, I need to know what the stores are carrying, what is current, and what is selling or not. It's fun to snoop and try things on, but I had been reluctant to shop in January.

This is an awkward time of year, retail-wise. The shops are recovering from the holidays and are often trying to come up with new merchandising strategies. Store owners and managers tend to order little at the first of the year so the shops are a bit bare and sad-looking. However, this year seems different.

When I headed to Nordstrom last week, I noticed how full the racks and shelves were. This sent my heart beating more quickly, and I had fun looking around. Today was a day I set time aside to visit the smaller stores and to try things on. Sadly, it was a day I came home empty handed.

There isn't much on my wish list right now, but I would like a pair of lightweight jeans and I am always in the market for cute knit tops and sweaters. My first stop was Diani on upper State Street. I saw several dresses and belts for a couple of my clients, yet nothing that suited my current needs and lifestyle. Diani Shoes sells absolutely stunning footwear, but the flats I tried on today pinched my bunion and squished my toes. Phooey!

My next stop was Indian Summers in Summerland. This store strikes me as just about perfect: It is small, contains a carefully selected inventory, offers very friendly service, and sells quality clothing, shoes, and accessories. Alas, the jeans I tried on were not perfect. One pair hit me at an unflattering place in the middle of my calf. This length makes me look stumpy. The other pair were tight across my thighs in the back. Not pretty. Sure, they didn't look terrible, but they would have languished in my closet while I continued to wear my other, great-fitting jeans.

Consignment stores were my final destination. I have learned to make several tours around these places, as treasures can be found lurking in dark corners and on obscure shelves. I tried on a tunic that was too big in the shoulders, a beautiful black silk blouse that I did not need, and a skirt that slipped down from my waist to barely hang on my hips. All of these garments were darling, but none were so wonderful on me.

Think about Goldilocks and her quest for "just right" when you shop. It's easy to settle for things we like even though they don't fit us well. While I am a big proponent of tailoring, sometimes you know from the start that a garment will not be perfect no matter how you alter it. Being selective will save you money in the end.

No comments: