Saturday, November 13, 2010

Nothing Compares



For nearly 3 years I have been on a quest for a pair of brown pumps. Could that description be more banal? Perhaps not, but I am telling you, it is not so easy to find good looking, comfortable, stylish, brown shoes. Even wonderful Jenelle at Nordstrom could not locate the ideal pair for me.

But now I have found them. Too bad they are $425. Really. But they are perfect and since I discovered them, I have become an even more discriminating shopper.

These dream shoes are made by Anyi Lu and are sold at Souliers in Montecito. They are visually stunning, in beautiful patent leather, with hand sewn ribbon around the front, and a gorgeous python covered wedge heel. In terms of workmanship, the shoes were handmade by extremely skilled (and I have to think proud) shoemakers. The fit was unbelievable: I felt like I was wearing my gym shoes. Not one part of my foot felt pinched or strained. I think I could have worn them all day. . . were it not for their steep price.

I have been thinking of these shoes often. Since much of my work at Wardrobe Wisdom involves shopping, I have been in a lot of stores since discovering the Anyi Lus and find that no other shoe compares. Looking even more closely at the workmanship in shoes and clothing has left me a bit depressed. I understand about paying for high quality, but I don't understand why an expensive dress has bits of thread hanging from the bottom, or why a designer handbag is unevenly dyed, or why a factory made scarf costs $200.

So I am holding out for exceptional, awe-inspiring pieces to add to my wardrobe. Like those dreamy shoes. I think all of us would spend a lot less in the end if we raised our standards.

No comments: