Monday, May 25, 2009

Our Closets, Ourselves

A very insightful article came out in the New York Times today, called " Tales from the Back of a Closet." In it, the author describes a wardrobe intervention her fashionable friend instigated. The author writes, "I’m haunted by the suspicion that there exists, in the depths of my closet, sufficient raw material to put together several attractive, fashionable outfits — if only I could jettison preconceived notions about how to wear what I already own."

I think "raw material" is a refreshing way to consider the basics in our closet. They are what I look for first when working with my Wardrobe Wisdom clients. Once we have established what basics are there and where the gaps are, we can play around with outfits. Not a session goes by that I don't hear, " I never would have thought of that. I love those things together!" A pair of objective eyes helps to see the possibilities for "new" outfits and looks.

So once you have identified the raw materials in your own wardrobe, get me (or a trusted, stylish friend) in there to suggest different ways to wear your clothes. Chances are you will be delighted with the results and you will begin shopping for clothing with a fresh outlook on your own style potential.

No comments: