Tuesday, July 26, 2016

"The human cost of shockingly cheap clothing"


Photo credit: ecouterre.com


Jon Oliver covered the topic of sweatshops, fast fashion, and the world's unhealthy and deadly addiction to cheap clothing very well on his show "Last Week Tonight." Oliver's words from this video are the title of today's blog.

Obviously, I love clothing and like a bargain. Am I aware of how many clothing companies use child labor and allow people to work in inhumane, dangerous conditions to produce garments? Yes, but have I chosen to spend my money responsibly, and thoughtfully, by not supporting such unethical companies? Not always. Oliver's story put this issue on my radar again. It should be on all of our radars and we should shop or not shop accordingly. Go here to learn more about child labor.

No comments: