Monday, November 18, 2013

Holiday Fabrics



                                                                        burnout


                                                                            crushed






I am not ready for the holidays and like to wait until after Thanksgiving to get our Christmas tree and decorate my house. Easing into the season is a tradition for me.

One thing I do give thought to though--long before things get very festive in the retail world--is what I have to wear for special events. When I take my fall and winter clothes out of storage bags, I love to see all the luscious fabrics and sparkly pieces. Below is a guide to velvet, a favorite winter and holiday fabric seen on skinny jeans, jacket lapels, skirts, dresses, and blouses.

Velvet: a fabric with a soft, plush feel made of silk or a synthetic blend of threads.
  burnout: sheer flat and raised velvet patterns in the material have been created by "burning out" parts of the fabric.
  crushed: the material has a look of having been scrunched up and then flattened out.

Velveteen: This is a stiffer fabric with a soft feel, made of cotton. Velveteen is more casual than velvet.

In order to show you some examples of luxury fabric (seen above), I visited the luxe world of neimanmarcus.com. You can find comparable styles for your budget at most every story,  from Nordstrom to JC Penney to H & M.


No comments: