Friday, February 26, 2010

Is It Worth Altering?




One sign of good service is when a person steers you away from spending money. For example, my husband and I recently took some items into Alfred's Tailoring in Goleta. Don had a jacket hanging in his closet for, oh, I'd say 4 years. In order for the jacket to fit him properly, the arms needed lengthening and the buttons needed to be moved.

I brought in a lovely Marc Jacobs black cotton jacket that I never wore. Each time I put it on I took it off. Why? Because it was boxy and unflattering. Still, I knew it could be a wardrobe staple. Another item in need of altering was a beautiful white linen skirt with silver beading along the waistband and hem. Knowing it would cost a fortune to take the waistband in, the skirt had languished in my closet for months.

When the tailor at Alfred's looked at me in the jacket, she made some "Oh, I see." and "Uh-huh, this is the problem" sounds before pinning it along the back seams. It already looked better! When she saw me in the skirt, she shook her head: "No. Making this skirt smaller would cost a lot of money. You do not want to spend that. Just wear it low with a long shirt!"

Then she looked at Don in his jacket and stated, "No, it cannot be done. There is not enough fabric here to alter it the right way."

We so appreciated the seamstress' candor and honesty. I am looking forward to wearing my new, flattering jacket, and think I have a longish top to wear with that skirt! Don is slowly moving toward donating his jacket. It's hard for him to part with things.

I am happy to recommend Alfred's Tailoring in Goleta for its excellent work and integrity. I learned again that day that alterations, in the end, do save money.

No comments: